Durgapur projects an image of an industrialized India. It is the third integrated steel plant of Hindustan Steel Limited and occupies an area of 6.47 sq. kms. Founded under the Colombo Plan Mission which visited India in April, 1955, the plant has been instrumental in changing the rural face of Durgapur into a vast industrial complex comprising public and private sectors.
Area : 41 sq. kms.
Altitude : 68.9 metres.
Temperature (deg C): Summer- Max.46.1, Min. 37.8; Winter- Max. 32.2, Min. 29.4
Rainfall : 150 cms June to September.
Clothing's : Summer- Tropical, Winter- Light woollens.
Languages spoken : Bengali, English.
Best Season : Through out the year.Access
Air : Nearest national and international airport Calcutta is 176 kms away.Rail: Durgapur is the railway station on the Eastern Railway.Road: Durgapur is connected by good motorable roads with Calcutta 176 kms, Patna 414 kms, Asansol 50 kms, Shantiniketan 62 kms, Vishnupur 72 kms.Local Transport: Taxis, City Bus services, Cycle Rickshaws are available.Places to visit
[Distances are from the railway station]
- Alloy Steel Project (10 kms)
- Mining and Allied Machinery Corporation (6 kms)
- Durgapur Coke Ovens Project Limited (6 kms), A.V.B. (6 kms)
- Durgapur Barrage (3 kms)
- Durgapur Steel Plant (10 kms)
- Philips Carbon Black & Sankey Wheels.
- Park in `A' Zone and Bel Park in `B' Zone, Steel Township.
- Asansol: 42 kms. Connected with Durgapur by train and bus.
- Chittranjan: 77 kms. Connected with Durgapur by train and bus.
- Jaidev: 22 kms. The birthplace of the famous Bengali Vaishnava poet Jaidev. Regular bus service available upto Ajoy river from where the river can be crossed on foot. Ferry service across the river is available during the monsoons. A fair is held during the first half of January which lasts from 10 to 15 days.
- Shantiniketan: 61 kms. International University Founded by Rabindranath Tagore
- Vishnupur: 72 kms. Ancient-city reputed for temples and terra-cotta sculpture.
Permits (nontransferable) are issued only on a visit in person to the Public Relations Office.
Visiting Hours: 1030 to 1230 hours and 1430 to 1630 hours on weekdays and 0930 to 1215 hours on Saturday.
Phone: PABX 483, 732.