Climb or drive high up to Tirumala, nestling among the seven hills in the Eastern Ghats, Catch the exquisitely carved gold gopuram of the Lord Venkateshwara Temple, glinting in the sun. The Tirumala shrine is a masterpiece of Dravidian architecture. This ancient temple has also found a mention in various Sastras and Puranas. That's not all. There are other famous shrines in Tirupati town - Govindarajaswamy. Kodanda ramaswamy, Tiruchanur (Goddess Padmavathi), Kapila Theertham (Lord Shiva) and Srinivasa Mangapuram (Sri Venkateshwara).Getting There
Air: Connected to Hyderabad, Chennai and Bangalore.
Rail: Connected by rail with all the cities in India
Bus: Tirupati is linked by regular bus services with important places - Hyderabad (572 kms), Chennai (130 kms), Bangalore (240 kms), Chittoor (61 kms), and Vijayawada (380 kms).
Temple buses, State buses, taxis, autorickshaws, cysclerickshaws are available.Conducted Tours
- For local Alaya Darshan, contact: Assistant Manager, A.P. Tourism. Ph: 25602
- For temple visitors, TTD facilities are also available. For transportation and accommodation, contact TTD offices in Hyderabad, pH: 3220852, 3224512 at Tirupati, Ph: 27977, 25103, Fax 27166.
- Hotel Mayura, 209 T.P. Area, pH: 08574-25925, 25043. Fax: 25911.
- Hotel Guestline Days, Karakambadi Road. pH: 28868, 28800, Fax: 27774.
- Hotel Quality Inn Bliss, Renigunta Road. pH: 25747, 25002. Fax: 25568
- Hotel Vishnu Priya, Opp. APSRTC Bus Station. pH: 25060, 25976.
- Hotel Amravathy, 142, T.P. Area. pH: 25017, 25517.
- Hotel Sainath, Opp. S.V. Bus Station, pH: 25817, 25417.
- Hotel Vikram, Opp. APSTRC Central Bus Station. pH: 25292, 25043.
- Hill View Guest House, APTTDC, Opp. Ruia Hospital. pH: 22494.
- There are a number of cottages, choultries, guest houses too.
After temple bells and shrines, visit the Chandragiri Fort built on a huge rock about 56 mts high. Discover the remains of palaces and temples. relive the lives of the Vijayanagar royal families in the Raja and Rani Mahal! Coming up shortly, is an exciting sound and light show which will add a perfect touch to your evening!
Distance: 11 kms from Tirupati.
State buses, taxis.Kailasanatha Kona
Don't miss the lovely Kailasanatha Kona natural waterfalls in the valley of Nilgiri Hills near puttur. It is Believed that a bath at this mineral rich waterfall, has curative effects.
Distance: 43 kms from Tirupati.
State buses.Information Counters
- Tourist Information Officer, regional Tourist Information Bureau, Near TTD, 3rd Choultry. Tirupati - 517 501. Ph: 24306
- Assistant Manager, APTTDC, Near TTD 3rd Choultry, Tirupati - 517501, pH: 25602.
Looking for a quite end to your holiday? Stop by at Horsley Hills, Located at an altitude of 1265 mts. The delightfully cool hills are named after W.D. Horsley - a one time collector of Cuddapah District, who chose this spot as his summer residence. Groves of teak, red sanders, eucalyptus, gulmohar, and mango will enchant you.
Distance: 114 kms from Tirupati.
Air: Accessible airports are Tirupati and Bangalore at a distance of 160 kms and 165 kms respectively.
Rail: The nearest rail head to Horsley Hills is Madanapalle Road.Accommodation
- A.P. Tourism's Governor's Bungalow.
- Forest Bungalow.
- P.W.D Inspection Bungalow.
- Chittoor cooperative Society Guest House.
- Tourist Rest House. pH: 08571 - 69323.
There's nothing like a good story to add flavor to your tour. Close to Tirupati, is the sacred shrine of Vayu the wind God at Kalahasti town. There's a legend that the Linga here was worshipped by a spider (sri), a snake (kala) and an elephant (Hasti), and that's how Sri Kalahasti got its name.
Distance: 36 kms from Tirupati.
Regular state buses are available from Tirupati.
What to see
Papavinasam waterfalls, Akasaganga waterfalls, Narayanavanam, Perumallapalli, Nagalapuram, Talakona, Kamipakam.Festivals at Tirumala - Tirupati
New Attractions coming up
- Brahmotsavams in September - October each year.
- At Tirupati every October, a colorful cultural festival unfolds the rich art and cuisine of the Rayalseema region.
World-class Zoo, S.V. Museum of temple Art, Day & Night Crafts Bazaar at Kapila Theertam, Gudimallam, Kalyani Dam, Religious Theme Park, Food Court, Recreation Lake and Aerial Tramway.